68 degrees/coats work by several-short road trip

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por LadyM in Zihua desde (dsl-189-147-5-4.prod-infinitum.com.mx) el día martes, 19 de febrero, 2008 a las 10:34:08 horas :

This morning is turning into a beautiful one. The sun is out and washing all the trees with gold rays. Quite lovely.

Earlier I was down by the pier and some of the local fishermen as well as others had on sweaters and were speaking to me of how cold it is. As the children walk past on their way to school they have on sweaters and jackets. My godson, Julian, told me he was cold as his bottom lip trembled. Winter is winter wherever you live.

Yesterday 5 of us headed out on a small road trip. We first went and visited a ranch that raises goats. According to the men who were tending the goats and giving out information, as I had taken a wrong turn, they had over 2000 goats. They were on a huge hacienda with a building that has ceased being built due to construction problems. I was not sure as to what all the problems were as two of them were talking to me at once. I was lucky to get what I did as fast as they were telling me. They offered for me to take pictures of anything I wanted and smiled when they were asked if they could be in the pictures.

We then went to the Iguana sanctuary. Going towards Petatlan on the right is the big sign. You can hardly miss it. The sign tells there is an Iguana Sanctuary. It is after Los Achotes by a few miles but before the next village, San Jeronimito. There were a variety of animals there other than iguanas. The iguanas number over 300. I was told about the people selling iguanas for food who offer them for sale along the highways. The man who runs the sanctuary often buys them and brings them to the sanctuary. He had one iguana who was ill and needed to see the vet. He was one of the ones that had been for sale along the road. Whe they are for sale often they have their mouths sewn shut and they are hog tied so they can not move. Even if they are rescued sometimes they do not live. The government funds or at least approves this sanctuary. They also have a little place for lunch so we shared all they had available. There was a reservation group arriving at 2 and all the chicken and beef they had was planned for this lunch. The food we were served, chicken, tomatoes, avacado, onions, beans, and rice along with hand made tortillas, was some of the best grilled chicken I have had here. Tender and juicy rather than tough and dry like so much of the time I get. Also there were small white tailed deer, ducks, pigeons, peacocks, and what they told me was a water dog or in the area was called a nutria. I have never seen or heard of this little furry creature. The woman feeding him had him wrapped in a small blanket as she said he did not like the sun. When I held him he wanted to snuggle and be close to my face. He was a wiggly little guy and it was hard to keep him under some kind of control as he squirmed and tried his best to climb higher in my arms. The people running this area were some of the most informative and friendly folks I have met on this trip as well as good cooks.

From there we drove to the Salinas de Potosi. There were acres and acres of salt flats where they were drying salt. Along with the flats of water where the salt is extracted there were Aztec filters being filled with water so the water dripped through the filter before before being put into the flats to dry. Very interesting concept and the only place I have ever seen this done. Some of the areas were protected with palm branches or the branches as well as black plastic sheeting to keep dust from entering the salt area as when vehicles drove in their was some dust unless you were going slowly. We were so intersted in all we were seeing that our speed was in the 5 to 6 miles per hour and sometimes less. We took lots of pictures of all aspects of the process. One of the men, Arturo, who worked there (and is a friend of Laura's and was surprised she was a friend of mine also) explained the process to us and was very happy we came to see how this was done. There were also several workers resting at a little tienda of sorts that was set up as you arrived at the area. Each different area (run by different people) had their own little shaded area and hammocks so they could get out of the sun when they needed to rest. Other than those areas and a few scrub bushes and trees there was no shade. Hard, hot work to be sure.

We came back into Zihua and stopped to buy some fresh pineapple and manderinas at a fruit stand so we could make some pina coladas and have fresh fruit. All in all one of the more informative and interesting days I have spent while here this time. Looking forward to more days the same.

Follow Ups: